Camp Crook is an incorporated small town in Harding County, South Dakota, United States, on the Little Missouri River. Originally named Wickhamville, after one of the original founding families, the town was renamed in April 1883 when the Cheyennes assumed a threatening attitude and their agent called upon the commanding officer of Fort Custer for protection. Major Carrol was dispatched with Troops B, D, and M of the U.S. 1st Cavalry Regiment to the Tongue River Agency, where they established Camp Crook. The population was 56 at the 2000 census. Camp Crook is the birth place of the famous bucking horse, Tipperary. A depiction of the first ride of Tipperary can be seen in the Corner Bar and Cafe in Camp Crook. The Town celebrated 125 years of existence in August 2008 during the annual county fair. It is the oldest town in the county and is the largest town, west of the Little Missouri River in South Dakota. The Custer National Forest, with its Sioux Ranger District office, also celebrated 100 years of having a presence in Camp Crook in 2008.