Pomfret is a small crossroads in Charles County, Maryland. Maurice J. McDonough High School is nearby and has a Pomfret mailing address. The active historic Catholic church established by Father George Hunter, S.J. in 1763 is located in Pomfret. The current structure dates from 1849. Mother Catherine Spalding was a native of Pomfret, according to a brass plaque inside the front entrance to St. Joseph's. In 2009 a new fire department was built in the community.