Denver City is a town in Gaines and Yoakum counties in the U.S. state of Texas, just a short distance from the New Mexico boundary that is named for the petroleum company, Denver Productions. The population was 3,985 at the 2000 census. The town is located at the intersection of Texas State Highways 214 and 83. Oil and ranching remain important to Denver City. The first well was drilled by the wildcatter "Red" Davidson of Fort Worth on the ranch lands of L.P. and Ruth Bennett and her father, Dr. J.R. Smith. Oil gushed to the surface for the first time on October 10, 1935. A part of this Wasson Field, as it is known, is the site of the Yoakum County Park, donated in 1964 by Gene H. Bennett (1921-1998), the youngest son of the Bennetts.