Baileyville is a town in Washington County, Maine, United States. The population was 1,686 at the 2000 census. Within the town is the census-designated place of Woodland. The town was originally settled by Quakers in 1780. In 1830, Ezekiel Bailey began commercial manufacture of oilcloth in 1830, when it was made by hand. The business flourished and expanded until it comprised several factories, which were burnt down in 1921.