Davidson is a town in Iredell and Mecklenburg counties in the U.S. state of North Carolina. The population was 7,139 at the 2000 census. It is home to Davidson College. Lying along the eastern shore of Lake Norman, the town is centered around the college from which it takes its name. The town was founded in 1837 with the establishment of the Presbyterian Davidson College, named for Brigadier General William Lee Davidson, a local Revolutionary War hero in Mecklenburg County. The land for Davidson College came from Davidson's estate, a large portion of which was donated by his son.