Clinton is a Town in Hunterdon County, New Jersey on the South Branch of the Raritan River. As of the United States 2000 Census, the town population was 2,632. When the Clinton post office was established in 1829 the town was named for DeWitt Clinton, Governor of New York and the primary impetus behind the then-newly completed Erie Canal. Clinton was incorporated as a town by an Act of the New Jersey Legislature on April 5, 1865, within portions of Clinton, Franklin and Union Townships. Clinton gained full independence from its three parent townships in 1895. Clinton is considered a part of the New York City Metropolitan Area according to United States Census data. More specifically, Clinton is part of the Primary Metropolitan Statistical Area of Middlesex, Somerset and Hunterdon counties in New Jersey. Clinton serves as a "bedroom community" for many commuters working in and around Northern New Jersey and New York City. The town is perhaps best known for its Red Mill which sits on the banks of the south branch of the Raritan River and the Stone Mill which acts as an art museum.