Paris is a rural city located on the western side of the Bear Lake Valley in Bear Lake County, Idaho, United States. Its population was 576 at the 2000 census. The county seat of Bear Lake County, it was settled on September 26, 1863 by pioneer settlers of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Paris was settled by a group of dedicated Mormons led by Charles C Rich. During early years, pioneers suffered difficulties with the harsh cold climate, however their determination and faith kept them from leaving the area. Paris sports an impressive landmark for a city of its size: the LDS Bear Lake Stake Tabernacle, a sandstone church built by the pioneers in 1889. It seats around 2000 people, nearly four times the population of the city.